Friday 9 November 2012

The Journey Starts

Our plane takes off on schedule from Dallas, and thanks to the concierge he takes our bags from our room straight to the baggage check in and advises us we have priority status with American Airlines, this is due to Roses frequent flyer status. This allows us priority check in, baggage and boarding all rather mute when there is only 30 people on a plane that holds 100, with this amount of people on the plane everyone is pretty much priority status.

Dayton is a 2 hour flight and John is there to meet us, we grab our bags and its off to meet our truck. It's parked on the top level about the only place it would fit it was huge! John throws the keys to me and said let's go. A quick walk around and off we go, my first drive, a pretty daunting experience let me tell you it's big. We get to the park and pay station and the first thing we have to do is pull both side mirrors in so we can fit through, now I am worried, that coupled with driving on the right hand side of the road has my head really going.

So it's off to meet our trailer, are we excited, or nervous, in fact both. We arrive at Holmans and meet all the great people I have spoken to on the phone this last several months. Bad news, a slight technical hitch and our trailer won't be ready till the next day. Our hearts sank, however there is nothing that can be done about it, we are offered a hotel but we choose to stay at Johns for the night and will be back tomorrow.

Next day we are there ready to take possession. We spend a couple of hours doing our "walk through" learning as much as we can. I must tell you when we went inside my jaw dropped, it was everything I expected and more! We were over the moon! We are shown how to hitch up and we are ready, oh one more thing, the keys and a $100 fuel voucher for any inconvenience, got to be happy with, thanks Chris, cheers.

So we turn onto the highway in our 48 foot rig or 6.4 metre long vehicle and away we go, am I nervous, you bet and to top it off its dark so this adds to my nervousness. Our truck pulls it with ease steady as you go Ron. Driving down the highway we remember that we will need wine to celebrate the trailer, so now I have to drive into a car park, great nothing like jumping in the deep end. I find a spot furthest from the entrance, no one bats an eye lid as we park taking up numerous spots, it happens all the time as fifth wheelers are pretty common here.

We arrive safely at Johns place and I reverse park it, yep reverse it up close to the house in the dark! I get out of the truck and relax finally, its been a big day to start with.



- Posted by RnR on their IPad

Location:Dayton and Bativia Ohio

No comments:

Post a Comment