Thursday 28 June 2012

New or Used?

To reduce costs we thought a second hand fifth wheel would be the way to go. There are many sites but the main ones I researched were;

Holman Motors – sells both second hand and new
PPL in Texas – sells on consignment
RV classifieds – covers all of the American states

As with all second hand vehicles you really don’t know the history of the vehicle and in the case of fifth wheels, does the plumbing work, are there leaks, what is the overall condition etc I emailed several people about fifth wheels some answered some didn’t so the process become quiet long. Then there was the problem if I found a suitable trailer my brother in law would have to travel many hundreds of miles to inspect it and not being a mechanic or RV technician it would have put a lot of pressure on him. My brother in law works six days a week so the ability for him to find the time to inspect our chosen trailer also became a little limited. I could have employed an RV inspection service but this could become quiet costly especially if several trailers needed to be inspected. So my thoughts came back to a new fifth wheel and the great people we met at Holman Motors Ohio, they sell second hand trailers as well as new. I had been monitoring their site for a number of months keeping an eye on prices. I phoned them and was put onto a salesman by the name of Danny. I introduced myself and advised him I was ringing from Australia and I was looking to purchase a fifth wheel, there was a short pause, I could almost hear his thoughts!! What?? Who, from where?
Tip, buy phone card to save plenty of dollars.

I spoke to Danny and informed him of our plans to come to the USA and I arranged for my relative to visit the dealer and inspect the three used fifth wheels I had chosen. In the meantime Holman Motors had further reduced their new fifth wheels. By the time we did our sums on purchasing a second hand trailer of which we had to add nearly $3000 for sales tax and a 12 month purchased warranty the difference between old and new became very small. Some more calculations and for peace of mind and value for money purchasing the new fifth wheel was the best option. We had no trade and were looking to pay cash. We also figured if and when we sold the trailer the newer the better.

A quick inspection by my brother in law on the new fifth wheel and the deal was done. Rose was away interstate for work so I set my alarm clock for 12 midnight Australian time and phoned Holman Motors and bought the trailer then and there! I phoned Rose the next morning and advised her of our purchase, there was a brief silence, and just the sound of morning TV coming through the phone from Canberra! Then the words, "you did what," mmm I could tell she was happy just like me. This sounded like happiness to me? Of course she was happy.... Rose did warm to the idea once the shock wore off. We purchased a new 2012 Heartland Sundance XLT fifth wheel, at just under 31 foot in length with included numerous options as standard.

Something to is check is to make sure you know what comes with the trailer for example, leads, sewage hose, fresh water hose ours even has a bike rack. Little things can make a difference like, the stowage of the sewer hose in the back bumper bar of the trailer. Just nice to know this particular hose is not stowed underneath with all your other personal gear.

Now how to actually pay for our chosen trailer.


- Posted by RnR on their IPad

Location:Brisbane

No comments:

Post a Comment