Thursday 7 June 2012

How It All Began

I have been encouraged to put together this information by my family and friends not so much as a bible on how to do this but to provide information for others who may wish to do a similar trip. Firstly since the Patriot act was put in place in the USA it would appear to be much more difficult to do a number of things when you want to plan an extended trip to the USA. I have done much research on the internet and phone calls to the US fact finding, and although my information will not be conclusive it will provide information that I have found out which may be of assistance.

Firstly some background to our trip. My partner Rose and I travelled to the US in October 2009 for six weeks and spent 7 days in an RV driving around the Grand Canyon. This was one of the highlights of our six week trip, the ability to have the freedom to go when and where we please proved to be very advantageous. Some weeks later whilst driving in Ohio we stopped at an RV dealer and inspected an RV and some fifth wheels. We were amazed at the value for money these gave. We returned home and gave it no more thought. One day I was searching the dealer’s web site (Holman Motors Ohio) and again I was truly amazed at the value for money these vehicles offered compared to Australia. It was at this point I could not let the thought go of an RV trip in the USA for 12 months!. Rose and I sat and discussed the many options and we came up with “lets buy a fifth wheel and travel the US for a year!” That was it I was hooked and every spare minute I was researching RV’s, fifth wheels and travel trailers (caravans). We sold our investment property got cashed up and started planning. I wanted to do this trip just like the Americans do, in an RV or a fifth wheel so that excluded the travel trailer (caravan) option.

A lot of our planning was made easier as we have a relative living in the USA but if you don’t I would expect one option would be to register an LLC, Limited Liability Company, there are many websites offering this service and I am sure some are scams so beware. Having an LLC gets you an US address to enable you to title (register) your vehicle and to have a US bank account. Depending on which state you register your LLC can even save paying sales tax on your RV or trailer purchase. Several states have no sales tax at all!

Location:Brisbane Australia

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to following your adventures around the USA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our trip will be one big adventure - Thanks for your comment

    ReplyDelete