Sunday 2 December 2012

Boondocking

Before we left on our journey we had spent many hours on the Internet checking out forums etc. Rose came across one forum which got a referral to a site called "Boondockers". Boondocking is best described as free camping and this new site was designed to connect fellow RVers. The site puts like minded RVers in contact with one another, that is I have a spot in my yard that I am willing to let you use for free. Length of time, age group, generators etc are at the discretion of the person advertising. We signed up and our Nashville stop was to be our first time at this type of boondocking.

We checked out spots around the Nashville area and came up with a town called Pegram, about 20 miles out of Nashville which was ideal. Through the web site we emailed our prospective landlord and within a day we had a phone call and arrangements were made including some great directions as the GPS route was rather narrow, great first hand knowledge from George our host. We arrived mid afternoon met George and Jane and he showed us the site, it was beautiful he was on 5 acres of tree studded land. He has a 30 ft RV and is able to turn around on the site so I figured I could, wrong! There was no way I could do it so I backed up the 200 metre, tree lined driveway, I must say I impress myself sometimes, with expert guidance from Rose on the walkie talkie we had it done, and to top it off and to confirm my expert reversing skills we backed the trailer back down again to our site. We set up and we were done, boondocking here we come.




As Rose and I sat and had a drink, I said to her "this feels funny, I feel like we are squatting" we laughed and agreed it was weird. We then went up to the house to better introduce ourselves to George and Jane. We were their first guests and they were nervous just the same as we were. I know what they were thinking, what if these Aussies are strange, what if they have two heads, well justified as we were thinking similar things, hey we could just pack up and leave, they would have to front us and say, "hey we don't like you, so pack your crap get get off our property". Anyway our first sit down and chat was great George and Jane are lovely people and as they didn't say "see ya" we assumed we had passed muster.

The idea of this process is that they are not our local guides or babysitters, it's just a place for us to park for free. We are very mindful not to interrupt their day and to be considerate and respect their hospitality. We were so lucky, we were provided with water and power for which we were truly great full. We had struck gold on our first boondocking experience, thanks George and Jane for trusting us and inviting us into your home.



- Posted by RnR on their IPad

Location:Pegram, Tennessee

1 comment:

  1. Mate it sounds like a great trip so far. I'm salivating. In case you were worried you are missing out on something in the ATO let me put your mind at rest, you aren't :)

    Cheers and happy trails
    Brett Catton

    ReplyDelete