Friday 3 August 2012

Getting the right truck (ute)

Ok so now we have a trailer and need something to tow it with. There are so many trucks in the US that just choosing one can be daunting. Coming from Australian about the only truck we are familiar with is the Ford F250 unless you count the tiny trucks i.e. Toyota and Mitsubishi but we all know these are not "real" trucks. Now we all know that the USA is truck heaven so if you are brand loyal Ford would be the most likely choice. So this is where I started, hit google and start searching. There are so many forums to choose from and lots of opinions from people. I started with Ford because this is all I knew. I read many things including that Ford had some problems with exhaust gases, to technical for me, so I asked my brother in law his opinion. As luck would have it a work mate of his has a F250 and a fifth wheel and in his opinion his advice was go the Dodge RAM with a Cummins diesel engine, I new that cummins diesel is used in heavy machinery and that was about it, so that was my starting point. I new nothing but had to start some place. I down loaded cars.com app to the iPad and started my search. I researched the internet every chance I got, I checked cars.com every second day. Of course that's not the only site I used but it enabled me to save my favourites and compare vehicles. With so many choices I set myself some boundaries.
Brand - Dodge RAM
Model - 2500 RAM I6 Diesel
Body Type - Quad cab (dual cab)
Tray - long bed but open to short bed but a slider hitch would be needed that's more dollars
Mileage - nothing over 100,000
Year - 2004 to 2008
It also let's you set a search area parameter i.e. 30 miles to unlimited miles from a set zip code we used Johns place.

If you don't set some parameters you will be looking forever.


- Posted by RnR on their IPad
Location:Brisbane

2 comments: