Wednesday 15 August 2012

We Found Our Truck!

Well as I searched each and every day, day in day out constantly researching trucks I came across one that really caught my eye! Ok so it was at the older end of the year model that I wanted, that is, 2005 but the photo looked fantastic, in fact the photo backed up the the description to a tee. So I did some more specific research on the 2005 Dodge I had found, I was excited! This truck was looking like a one in a million offer and your instinct kicks in to the old saying, if it sounds to good to be true it most likely is, that said it needed more investigation.
The truck was a 2005 Dodge 2500 Laramie, 26000 miles on the clock, heated leather seats, long bed and as a bonus it had rails in the bed for a hitch and a brake package a saving of around $1000 as I would not have to install these.

The first thing to find out is, how far it was from Johns place, after all he was the one who would inspect it and pay on our behalf. So onto google maps to find out where Bridgeport WV was, WV that would be West Virginia and as luck would have it it was on the border of Ohio in an easterly direction, fantastic, It was some 200 miles or four and a half hours drive. So now I was really excited, breath in breath out Ron think logically. So the next hurdle was would John drive that far? A call to John quickly fixed that, he drives 140 miles each day round trip just to get to work and home again, so this was no problem for him. I sent him the links to the truck, he said looks great when do you want me to go? Hold that thought I will get back to you.

So now it was a phone call to the dealer at Carder Motors Inc in West Virginia early on a Sunday morning. I spoke to the owner Mark and Col his son, Col even provided me with his dads home number so I could get more answers to my many questions, it was late Saturday afternoon there taking into account the time difference and I really appreciated the great service and effort they put in, I would recommend them.

In the USA they have a system called Carfax, it's basically one big data base on vehicles, it provides a total history of the vehicle. It list such thing as, any collisions, if it's been registered as a " lemon", if there is a loan outstanding on the vehicle, the full service history, which verifies the milage, its registration history and many other things. My truck came up as a guaranteed one owner and as such came with a buy back guarantee if any of the report was found to be faulty, I was happy.

The history of the truck was, wait for it, an older gentleman who once a year pulled his fifth wheeler to Florida, in other words a real " snow birder". The Carfax report verified all this so on that basis we bought the truck including a new hitch.

I arranged for John and his wife to drive over to West Virginia, I immediately got onto Ozforex and as always got a great rate and transferred the money, not forgetting sales tax for Ohio which is 7%.

Two days later John test drove the truck and confirmed it was all ok, paid with a bank cheque and the truck was now ours, or technically Johns as we don't have a social security number. The truck came with 60 days tags or temporary registration.

We ok'd for John to drive the truck to work a few times to iron out any bugs or faults, all it needed was new wiper blades, got to be happy with that!


- Posted by RnR on their IPad
Location:Brisbane

No comments:

Post a Comment